Monday 5 March 2018

A 'Laura' Skirt.

First things first.  My laptop has decided not to read SD cards any more so until I can get it looked at, I'm limited to my phone.  And for reasons yet to be discovered (by me anyway) my phone doesn't like to take very clear shots. 

Never mind, onward and upward. 

The second project in Cal Patch's 'Design-It-Yourself Clothes' book is the Laura skirt.  This skirt is also a basic A-Line but instead of darts for the waist shaping, a curved waist band is drafted.


The waistband comes to a point in the front which is very hard to see in these photos....thank you phone.


Maybe a little bit clearer?


There is also a ruffle on the bottom of the skirt, which in the book is quite....err.....ruffly.  Between the V-shaped waistband and the ruffle, the style of the skirt seems a little bit Western, which is not really my cup of tea, or shot of scotch.  Anyway I made the ruffle quite narrow so hopefully I don't look like a 'Quick-Draw-McGraw' Cowgirl. 


Now....the butterfly fabric.  Hmmm.

Usually when I am trying out new patterns, my go-to place for economical fabric is the specials table in the upholstery section of Spotlight.  Fabrics can be as little as $1 per metre.  I know....cheap as chips.  Perfect for a wearable muslin.  However, given that this year all of my patterns are going to be self-drafted, all of them a trial and all needing muslins, I am in grave danger of giving new meaning to my 'Von Trapp Collection'.

I'm going to try and buy some plain colours.  I promise.

6 comments :

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

It's beautiful. I especially like the not too rufffly ruffles.
With knee length I don't think it's western cow girlish either. :)

Meg said...

Your skirt looks great, Fran. It fits you so nicely. I would love one day to draft my own clothes, must see if I can get that book from my local library. Meg:)

Nanna Chel said...

I think it turned out well, Fran. I wonder how the waistband would cope if you lost weight though. I guess the skirt could always sit on your hips :-) I always have to make tucks in the waistband when I buy ready made clothes.

Fran Ponta said...

Nil thank you. I think the smaller ruffles work ok too.

Meg I actually thought of you when I got this book. I wondered how your sewing was going following your successful first dress last year!

Nanna Chel I think if I lost weight it would just sit a bit lower. Mostly my skirts have a tendency to get tighter.....funny that!

DbrhH. said...

Looks good, Fran. A little ruffle never hurt anyone, you won't see me in one any time soon.

Fran Ponta said...

Thanks Deb. Yes I'm not a ruffly girl but I don't mind the narrower one to finish the hemline. My next skirt is a lot plainer....thank goodness!